It’s a complex world and we need complex tools to make sense of it. In this module, your team will identify a topic or pose a question, investigate that question, and tell the story you discover using a confluence of modalities and digital tools.
- Learn about the historical relationship between journalism and media technologies (print, radio, TV)
- Learn how the Internet has made new modalities of communication possible
- Learn how digital tools make new kinds of research possible.
- Shirky, Clay. Here Comes Everybody: The Power of Organizing Without Organizations
- “Snow Fall” (Pulitzer prize-winning piece of interactive journalism.)
- HuffPost Data
- Investigate some topic or question using a digital tool like OpenRefine, Kumu or even one of the APIs at the Huffington Post.
- Learn about the history of converging media and modalities within journalism, starting with different technologies for including images alongside print (lithography, color photography, etc.)
- Create your own multimedia, multi-modal journalistic piece telling the story of the question or topic you investigated